Welcome to the castle of Mareuil
The castle of Mareuihe is a medieval castle located in the green Perigord on the heights of the town of Mareuil.
Built in the Middle Ages, this fortress has been owned by many noble families over the centuries, including the Lords of Mareuil, the Roquefeuil and the de Gontaut-Biron. The castle has been renovated several times over the centuries, but it still retains many of its original features, such as its ramparts, round towers and machicolations.
In addition to a flamboyant Gothic chapel, the castle also houses a room dedicated to the First Empire where furniture and documents trace the history of Marshal Lannes, Duke of Montebello (1769-1809), ancestor of the current owners. Inside, the rooms are decorated with beautiful paintings and furnished with Louis XV, Louis XVI and Regency period furniture.
The castle of Mareuil is an example of the medieval architecture of the Périgord, with architectural elements such as pointed arches, mullioned windows and battlements. It is surrounded by a large park with beautiful views of the surrounding countryside.
Today, the castle is open to the public and hosts guided tours. Part of the castle (the former outbuildings) is now the residence of the Duke of Montebello and his family. Most of the seigniorial and military parts (towers and walls, keep, guard and reception rooms, cabinet, chapel, upper and lower courtyard) are open to the public.
Dates and Times
Open from 15/04 to 15/11
Visit by appointment