Welcome to the Cave of the Combarelles
The Cave of the Combarelles, located at the bottom of a valley at the exit of Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil in the Dordogne, on the road to Sarlat, is a major sanctuary of the Magdalenian culture classified as a Unesco World Heritage since 1979.
Horses, bison, aurochs, lions, reindeer...., In total more than 800 engravings Of the Quaternary fauna, accompanied by drawings, adorn the cave of the Combarelles. It also houses a large number of schematic human representations, sometimes delicate interpretations.
On September 8, 1901, the cave was discovered and recognized by Denis Peyrony, abbé Breuil and Louis Capitan. It should be noted, however, that the porch of the caves and the right-hand gallery had already been excavated by Emile Rivière between 1891 and 1894.
In the first research, abbé Breuil counted 291 engravings distributed in 105 ensembles. At that time the discovery was of primary importance and allowed to authenticate other ornate caves.
Attention: For reasons of conservation, number of places very limited. Tickets on sale at the reception of the cave of Font de Gaume the same day, within the limit of the available places. Reservation possible by mail or by telephone (for the handicapped public). It is strongly recommended that you show up before the ticket office opens during a school holiday.
Full Price: €10
Reduced Rate: €8
Group rate (from 20 people,): €8
Free (child under 18 years and 18-25 years > European Union Nationals)
Dates and Times
From 15 May to 15 September, open from 9.30 am to 5.30 pm. From 16 September to 14 May, open from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm and from 2pm to 5.30 pm. Closed on Saturdays, 1 January, 1 May, 1 November, 11 November and 25 December.