The gardens of Marqueyssac: romantic and picturesque
The Gardens of Marqueyssac Perched on a rocky outcrop overlooking the valley of the Dordogne offers you in a magical place one of the most beautiful panorama of the Dordogne.
Surrounding the castle at the roof of lauze (limestone flats of Périgord) The gardens of Marqueyssac were designed for the promenade with more than 6 km of walkways lined with 150 000 century hand-carved centuries-old, and embellished with waterfalls, gazebos, rockery and greenery ...
The park of more than 22 hectares faces on the one hand the castle of Castelnaud and the castle of Beynac on the other hand. It is at the centre of the historical Patrimony of the Dordogne (Domme, La Roque Gageac, Beynac, Sarlat, les milandes ...)
The Classé Garden is a masterpiece of the topiary art with its hand-carved buisness.
Visit of the Gardens of Marqueyssac:
Throughout your walk, an illustrated sign will inform you about the history of the valley, its fauna and its flora.
In addition to the free tour, a guided tour (in English and French) is offered in an optional way and without additional prices from April to September.
On-site children will enjoy the playground, swings and cabins of the workshop of the Turner on Buis in season and the Aviary
In addition you will discover the boutique-bookstore and enjoy the tearoom and restaurant at the chateau and on its panoramic terrace from April to November.
Animations and Events:
– Workshop of the wood Turner: opened from April to Toussaint according to planning.
-Great Easter weekend egg hunt
– Via Ferrata from 16 April to Toussaint according to planning. Acrobatic course on the cliff.
– Sunday, June 4: Visit the Gardens: Entertainment for Children (workshop "Small Curious Nature"), via Ferrata, exhibition of ephemeral plant sculptures and demonstration of sizes of Buis.
-Candlelight evenings Saturday, June 3 and every Thursday evening in July and August, from 7 pm to midnight. A night walk marked with 2000 candles, 4 musical animations, workshops and shows for children.
– DIY Workshops "small curious nature": Easter and Halloween holidays, we may holiday, every day in July and August.
– Introduction to climbing on the landscaped cliffs of the site (reserved for children over 6 years old): Every morning from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm in July and August except Saturdays.
– Photographic exhibition "The Magic of the Woods": Elves, Fairies, imaginary creatures populate the aisles from the Belvedere to the poet's asylum.
– Game booklet for children from 7 years: Free
Accessibility of Marqueyssac Gardens:
The gardens located on a headland remain partially accessible to people with reduced mobility despite the unevenness to be overcome.
The surroundings of the castle are relatively easily accessible. The promenade of about 1600 up to the Belvedere is wheelchair accessible if needed.
An electric shuttle is available to visitors on the Grande Allée from April to the end of September. It helps to reduce the distances to walk to reach the Belvedere.
Benches are spread throughout the walks. You can enjoy the gardens at your own pace.
A parking lot for people with reduced mobility is at your disposal in the immediate vicinity of the entrance to the site.
The toilets are equipped to accommodate people with reduced mobility.
For the visually impaired, a Braille tour guide is available at the reception.
Individual rates in 2017
-Child from 10 to 17 years: €4.50
-Child under 10 years old: Free
Combined Ticket Castelnaud-Marqueyssac:
-Child from 10 to 17 years: €8.60
-Child under 10 years old: Free
Dates and times
Open every day throughout the year
February, March and October. to 12 Nov. : 10 am-6 pm
April, May, June, Sept. : 10 am-7 pm
July, August: 9 am-8 pm (Candlelight evenings from 7 pm to midnight, every Thursday evening)
of 13 Nov. At the end of January: 14 H-17 h
Last admission 1 h before closing