Welcome to Monpazier
If the south-west of France now has more than 300 bastide, MONPAZIER Will plunge you better than any other in the ambience of these new cities of the Middle Ages! Strolling through the streets, exploring the carreyrous and admiring the square of the angles will make you glimpse the singularity and exemplary of this bastide, masterpiece of architecture and town planning, which has earned Monpazier to be regularly considered by Great architects, such as the Duke or Le Corbusier, as the ideal model of Bastide. The richness of this built heritage has led to the introduction of important safeguards: Historical Monuments, Outstanding Heritage Sites.
The presence of Monpazier as a member of the remarkable sites and cities of France, its ranking among the Most beautiful Villages in FranceThe Flower Villages (1st flower), bear witness to a permanent concern to value the existing heritage and its environment. Monpazier is rich in an exceptional economic fabric for a municipality of 534 inhabitants: More than 70 traders, craftsmen and crafts welcome you every day throughout the year.
- Bastide of Crafts: Monpazier has become the City of Arts and crafts.
More than 22 artists and artisans of art are located in Monpazier. Their workshops, open to the public (mostly all year round), are an opportunity to discover a different art and to meet creators who exercise their talent with passion.
- Festive and cultural Bastide: Its numerous animations throughout the year punctuate the life of this most beautiful Village of France: Medieval animations, festival of the book, concerts, theatre...
- Bastide Gourmande: All local products of Périgord (foie-gras, breasts, conﬁts, wines...) are present in Monpazier, to buy or consume on the spot:
-in the many shops and restaurants in the commune,
– At the weekly market every Thursday morning,
– During the CEPs market under the Hall on the square of the angles (open every day during the period of shoot),
– During the truffle market (in winter).
- Bastide Nature: The natural spaces surrounding Monpazier (its forests, with more 200kms of signposted hiking trails) allow beautiful walks in a beautiful setting.
The Bastideum is a cultural and playful space for all audiences, at discounted prices, which invites you to discover the history and life of the Bastide country through the example of Monpazier, in a modern, interactive and playful way!
Start your journey through the former convent of the Recollets, where archival documents, interviews, 3d reenactments and a virtual overview of the Bastide on the big screen are proposed. You will plunge into the heart of the Middle Ages with its many ancient games, its medieval garden and all its animations.
Then go back to the streets, equipped with your smartphone or digital tablet, for a "la carte" discovery of the remarkable buildings, embellished with explanations and augmented reality and.. A quiz! An unforgettable moment!
24 Notre Dame Street
24 540 Monpazier
Phone: 05 53 22 60 38
Fax: 05 53 22 46 51
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 8am – 12pm and 2pm – 4pm
Tuesday: 8h – 12h
© credits-Photos: Country of the bastide and medieval cities
Easter in a Bastide-egg hunt (a course for the smallest in Bastideum) and a family journey in the Bastide. Presence of animals in the medieval Garden (chickens, chicks, rabbits...).
Workshop of medieval painting at the tempera. Single rate of €5