The capital of the Périgord Noir, a medieval city
Sarlat: The capital of Périgord noir
Located to the east of the department between Dordogne and Vézère, Sarlat is now one of the most beautiful medieval ensembles in Europe. Protected from modernism by the law Malraux, Sarlat has preserved the picturesque of its alleys and the beauty of its monuments. The city holds the record of density in historic monuments classified or listed in the national inventory with 65 monuments and protected buildings.
To go through its alleys is to read almost a thousand years of authentic architecture where, from the pavement to the roofs of slate, predominates this hot and blond stone.....
Rooted in the heart of its terroir, Sarlat is the ideal place to discover the gastronomy Périgourdine: in paradise of truffles, mushrooms, foie gras, candies, pies, and fine delicatessens of country, the périgourdins (related have been able to maintain for centuries, This great culinary tradition, a true quintessence of aromas and flavors that you will find on the beautiful market of Sarlat.
The city is very lively throughout the year with its bi-weekly markets on Wednesday and Saturday morning, a must-have stage during a stay in Périgord.
The remarkable monuments of Sarlat:
Many of the buildings are classified as historical monuments:
- Former convent of the Order of Notre-Dame: place Salvador-Allende
- Old Hôtel-Dieu of Sarlat-la-Canéda with its half-timbering: rue du Minage
- Former Saint-Sacerdos cathedral in SarlatPlace du Peyrou
- Former town hall of Sarlat also former bishopric of Sarlat: place du Peyrou
- Maison de La Boétie : place du Peyrou
- Hôtel de Mirandol: rue des Consuls
- Remaining part of the St. Benedict's cemetery, enfeus and lantern of the dead Behind the former St. Sacerdos cathedral
- Hôtel Plamon or Maison des Consuls: rue des Consuls
- Former Presidial House: 6 rue Landry
- Former chapel of the Récollets or White Penitents monastery and its cloister
- The fountain of St. Mary
...and many private houses and buildings...
Don't miss the covered market in the church of Saint Marie the architect Jean Nouvel to create a glass lift that will allow you to climb to the top of the bell tower to discover a 360° view of the medieval city of Sarlat. Two huge metal doors open on market days.
Many festivals follow each other:
-The feast of truffles and foie gras at the end of January
– Truffle markets from November to March every Saturday morning – the Fest'oie Festival around duck and goose foie gras at the end of February
-The days of the land to the Ascension
-the festival of outdoor Theatre games from mid July to early August
-The International Film Festival In mid-November
-The Christmas Market
-Flea markets every last Sunday of the month
The best way to discover Sarlat is to go on an adventure in its small alleys. The tourist office also organizes Guided tours From April to December as well as guided audio rides.
Very close to the valley of the Dordogne and the Vézère, Sarlat is the ideal base for discovering the tourist riches of the Périgord noir:
– The Caves of Lascaux In Montignac
-The village of Les Eyzies
– The Chasm of Proumeyssac In Audrix
– The Chateau des Milandes Residence of Josephine Baker in Castelnaud
– The Eyrignac Gardens
– The Biron Castle
TheAquarium of Périgord Noir
and other property Sights of Périgord...
Coming to Sarlat all year round, and especially in the back-season where nature reveals its personality better, is for everyone the certainty of discovering a true art of living. And if you have the chance, at least once in your life, to see the old city adorn itself with snow (it is true that it is very rare), you will not forget the magic that comes out of it.
The Easter egg hunt in the streets of Sarlat is back!
The city of Sarlat and the chocolate makers of Sarlat invite you to a festive and gourmet day on Monday 18 April.
Egg hunt for 2/12 year olds,
treasure hunt for 7/14 year olds,
The egg hunt is free and open to children aged 2 to 12.
Meet at 9am on the Place de la Liberté on the welcome stand for registration (compulsory)
Opening of the egg hunt at 10am, closing at 12pm.
Information: Tel. 05 53 31 53 46